THE HISTORY OF FAIRMOUNT
SERVING THE INLAND NORTHWEST SINCE 1888
Fairmount Memorial Association has been privileged to serve families in the Greater Inland Empire area since 1888. Locally-owned since our inception, what began as a single location on the west side of Spokane now includes seven parks and cemeteries between the West Plains and the Spokane Valley.
Fairmount Memorial Association believes it is our honor to serve your family, and we will exceed your expectations.
GROWING WITH THE NORTHWEST
Most of the parks and cemeteries the Association manages have their roots deep in local Northwest history, if not American history itself. In fact, several parks are on properties originally acquired through Congressional land grants to incentivize the expansion of railroads to the Pacific Coast following the Civil War.
Fairmount, Greenwood, and Woodlawn were each dedicated in the late 1800's to serve the city of Spokane Falls and its growing population. Riverside and Pines Cemetery followed a few decades later with their dedication before the start of the first World War.
Each of our parks is a memorial to the legacy of the pioneers and the citizens in our community and region. We consider it a privilege to have been a part of the Northwest community for over 130 years, and take pride in being a part honoring the lives of families for the next 130 years or more.
FAIRMOUNT MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION TIMELINE
Woodlawn Cemetery established by a Southern Methodist Church is established. A year later, the name would be changed to Englewood Cemetery. The original name would not be used for another 113 years.
On May 11th of 1888, Greenwood Cemetery is established with A.M. Cannon as its first president. The cemetery consists of both the "flats" (lower terrace) and "bench" (middle terrace) which were developed together. Greenwood would also be the new resting place for burials at the former Mountain View Cemetery.
Fairmount Cemetery Association incorporates on May 29th of 1888. Its primary incorporators were E. J. Webster, President of the Ross Park Electric Street Railway; D. T. Ham, a land speculator and developer; and J. L. Wilson, a U. S. Congressman and Senator. Later, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Washington Territory purchases several blocks for consecrated Catholic burial grounds.
Riverside Park Company is founded on October 31st, 1907 as a municipal park company.
To support the burial needs of the communities of Opportunity, Dishman, Vera and the Spokane Valley, the Opportunity Cemetery Association establishes Pines Cemetery.
On Nov. 27 1914 Riverside Park Company changes to a cemetery with a change in name to Riverside Park Cemetery. The entry gate and arches were designed by noted architect Kirtland Cutter.
Peace Abbey Mausoleum is completed, built by Smith & Company Funeral Home.
Greenwood Cemetery expands beyond the 'bench' and 'flats' to develop the Upper Terrace.
Riverside Park Cemetery acquires Greenwood Cemetery.
Riverside Mausoleum is completed in a Spanish Colonial style by the firm of Ring & Van Tyne.
The Northwest Memorial Gardens Corporation purchases 160 acres from the Northern Pacific Railway to establish Spokane Memorial Gardens.
Riverside Park Cemetery changes its name to Riverside Memorial Park.
To reflect its evolution to a modern memorial park, Greenwood Cemetery changes its name to Greenwood Memorial Terraces.
Both Greenwood and Riverside fall into a state of disrepair and ultimately under Federal Receivership.
The majestic glass and masonry Sunset Chapel and Mausoleum is completed, designed by architect Carl Van Tyne.
Fairmount Memorial Association acquires Greenwood and Riverside from receivership.
Fairmount Memorial Association acquires Spokane Memorial Gardens.
Heritage Funeral Home was opened with a new facility and crematory at the entrance to Riverside Memorial Park
After decades of neglect, Fairmount Memorial Association is deeded Woodlawn Cemetery from Spokane County and undertakes a project to rehabilitate the cemetery, which was completed in 2003.
Community Cremation & Funeral (now Pacific NW Cremation) was established.
Opportunity Cemetery Association establish South Pines Cemetery on 69 acres of land.
Fairmount Memorial Association adds Pines Cemetery and South Pines Cemetery.
Fairmount Memorial Association adds Coeur d'Alene Cremation & Funeral.
MORE ABOUT FAIRMOUNT MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION
A visit to any of our parks is an an experience to participate in a connection to our collective past, grounded in the present and planned for the future. Being a steward of this connection is an honor for all of us at Fairmount Memorial Association. This stewardship starts with ensuring that every final resting place and family is memorialized with honor following their wishes and those of their loved ones and family. This responsibility requires a disciplined financial resolve to ensure each park is fully endowed, that we celebrate the memories of those who have passed while celebrating life today, that we support other organizations that share our values, and that we continue to respect and share the greater story and legacy of all the lives and their integral connections to the Inland Northwest, the nation and the world.
Below are more links to information about our mission, leadership, history, community engagement, and the story of all of us.